Creating and Managing Tasks
You can create a new task from multiple pages in Salesforce: on a contact record or on your home page.
Tasks can be used to:
- keep track of the status of your to-dos
- remind yourself about upcoming activities
- track your interactions with partners
On a Contact
Create a future task
Here, we'll create a task for an activity that has not yet happened.
- Navigate to your contact's page.
If the contact does not yet exist in Salesforce, be sure to create a contact first.
- Scroll down to the Activity History section and click on the New Task button.
- In the right column, you'll likely be relating the task to an "Account," the company at which the contact works.
- Fill in other relevant fields, including Subject [a] and Comments [b].
Note that, by default, a new task's Status is set to "Not Started" [c].
If you don't want to set a reminder, you can click on the Save button.
Set a reminder
If you would like to set a reminder for your task, you can create one before saving your new task.
- Scroll down to the Reminder section at the bottom of the Task Edit page. The default is for the Reminder box to be checked. Make sure it is still selected.
When you set the task Due Date, the Reminder date field is auto-filled to match the due date. If you need a reminder for before the due date, remember to change the date in the Reminder section.
- Don't forget to click on the Save button when you are done.
- When the reminder date rolls around, a new window will pop-up when you login.
- If you've successfully completed that task, you can click on the Subject name, which will bring you to the task page. Click on the Edit button and add any additional comments.
- Finally, change the Status to "Completed" and click the "Save" button.
Log a completed task
If you want to log a task that you didn't created in Work Studyforce previously, follow steps 1-4 in the "Create a Future Task" section of this article and make the following adjustments:
- Set the Due Date to the date of your interaction.
- Change the Status to "Completed."
- Uncheck the box next to Reminder.
From Your Home Page
You also can create a task from your home page, which is the first screen you see when you log into Salesforce.
- Click on the Home tab at the top left of your screen.
- Scroll down to the My Tasks section and click on the New button.
- Follow the instructions in the On a Contact section above to create a future task, set a reminder, or log a completed task.
- Once you save your task, it should appear on your home page in the My Tasks section.
Don't see your task? [a] Make sure you're viewing the desired time frame by clicking on the drop-down arrow at the top left of the section [b].
Adding an Attachment
- After you've saved a task, you also can add an attachment if needed. Open the task and scroll to the bottom of the page. You'll notice that an Attachments section has appeared.
- Click on the Edit button just above the Attachments section.
This is different from clicking on the "Edit" button on the top of the task page!
- The Attach File button now should appear in the Attachments section. Click on that button.
- In the window that pops up, follow the instructions for attaching one or more files.
- Click Save. Your file should now appear as a link in your task, which you can click on any time you want to view it.